Monday 19 September 2016

Oh well, better luck next time

So, I've just done the final round of the SRS, held yesterday, 18th September, at the Remote World Model Car Club, or simply Slough.

Since my engine let me down at Clanfield last time out, I was hoping for better things this time round with a new engine.

I'm up at 5am, Left the house at 6 and was on the M25 around 7.  No problems finding the track, even though I'd not been there before and I had no satnav on me, no sirree, just road numbers scrawled on a post it style note, like the puzzle that autistic kid managed to figure out in that Bruce Willis film......What was it called again?

What a top circuit, there's proper toilets, no portaloo rubbish, there's also two airlines and a water gun station for blowing/washing off your car.  the rostrum is quality too, if Guy Martin were to see it, he would say: "aye, that's proper aint it" shortly before drinking a cup of tea,

Round 1, a bit muddy out there, all cars came back weighing far heavier than when they went out, but not really a problem.  6 laps in 5 mins and 40-odd seconds.  a bit meh, but I wasn't last.

Round 2, drying out nicely and I manage 6 laps in 5:21 or something.  I improve in time but not lappage (is that even a word?)

I spend some time eating and gassing to another Sworkz driver about helicopters (sorry if you're reading this but I've forgotten your name) only to find that my throttle servo is dead and I don't have another.  A fellow South Coast RC racer saves the day and I get in the car and set just in time for...

Round 3.  Ok, but I had a funny 5 minutes in the middle of the race when I made several joey mistakes in succession and as such I end up with 6 laps in 5:dunno, slower than round 2 anyway.

The Final, I'm in the "pull start" final, which is a shame, but hey ho.  That stalwart of spannering, that perennial pitman himself, Paul Stumpy Taylor (I don't know how he got that name) was once again roped into pitting for me.  I'm off, I make it to a slow section of the track and the engine cuts, not even getting one lap in.  Stumpy has a nosey and at first proclaims the clutch is at fault.  I come down and further investigation from Stumpy and Sworkz guru Kevin Brunsden, reveal it's no doubt a broken conrod, in a new engine.  Bollox.

It's only toy cars though apparently, but aside from that, I challenge any man, woman or child to not feel even the slightest disheartened when one has vested enthusiasm, money and their time into their hobby only for it go a bit wrong.  Some people shout and bawl at marshals or other racers, some people throw their cars to the ground in disgust.  I'm beyond that, things go wrong in EVERY form of racing, no matter what level or what the thing is you're racing.  So better luck next year I suppose.  Not sure where I finished but before this round I was in 32nd, which is by no means last. but I'm probably a couple places lower now.

Many thanks to Answer RCs Peter and Karl for letting an aging, simple club racer be on board the Sworkz train, and also thanks to, Jason, Paul and Kevin for helping me out.  See you all again soon.



Ahhh, Mercury Rising. stupid title for film I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment