Sunday 17 July 2016

Days like these......

....you realize everything is all in the balance, nowt is certain in life, except death of course, unless you're Ras Al Ghul or Connor McCloud of the Clan McCloud.  I'm once again talking RC car racing, so look away now if you're not interested.

Round number "Meh" of SCRCs summer series saw a woeful turnout of 11, which is still just more than the number of actual friends I have, but alas.  A bit of practicing saw my awesome SWorkz S350 evo2 have a funny 5 at the far side of the track, causing it to leave the track unannounced.  This was a continuing theme throughout the day.

In the 2nd round, The rear prop shaft came undone, giving me only fwd, which sucked.  So not a full distance there.  Round 3 saw more interference, much to my annoyance.

This saw us up to a lunch break, at which point I went to go out for practice, only to find my starter box seized,  I have a blue SMD box, they have that orange idler on the belt don't they!, mine had melted, and to the belt itself.  I cobbled something together using an assortment of wild berries, twigs and beetle shit and I was back in the game for the last round of Q (that's qualifying, not John de Lancies character from Star Trek: TNG)

This last round saw me break out the just as awesome 350T, this had no such interference issues, but the rear prop shaft did come loose, wtf, again?  Like John McClane, I was once again the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Final, I'm in the A, although that in part was down to numbers rather than my ability to dazzle people with my deft radio skills.  After I found a pit guy (cheers Bernie) as I thought the guy who I pitted for would return the favour but didn't, I was away and showing people that the SWorkz boyz "don't take no crap", except when once again, I was too gentlemanly and decided to let the leader through.  This made me wander off line and I caught a track marker, pulling a front shock shaft from it's ball joint, and thus collapsing the front end.

Thanks to Steve Hamilton though who had an allen wrench handy to put it back together again and Bernie who chucked some fuel in, I was back, like those two old blokes from Trading Places who end up as tramps, but make an appearance at the end of Coming To America.....

.....Once Steve figured out that my starter box is mounted the other way round that is.  My starter box is set so I have the exhaust facing away from me (wing to the left).  This was a common sense/ engineering decision.  After all, who in their right mind wants to be spurted with nitro fumes while stood next to the damn thing!

So I finish 4th (last was 5th, who was Steve, who retired through a mechanical) but take away some points, and as Valentino Rossi would say: "we taker away theee errrr.... points, which is velly guud for thee championship, no"

That's quite enough movie references too. Next stop: Clanfield SRS, not been there for a while, might dig my Monster Truck out.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment